Woodstove Exchange Program
Woodstove Exchange Program< Return to Rebates
Applications for this rebate are accepted from January 1, 2021 through to December 15, 2021 and are available while supplies last. Replacement appliances must be purchased through a program-registered retailer. Participating Retailers.
Residents replacing an old, non-EPA-certified wood stove (generally pre-1994) with an eligible, cleaner heating appliance can receive the following rebates:
If replacing with a new electric heat pump, electric fireplace, gas, propane or pellet heating - $400
If replacing with a new, EPA-certified wood stove - $250
In addition to the rebates being offered by the Regional District of Nanaimo, many participating retailers are offering additional incentives toward the purchase of an eligible appliance.
How to Receive Your Rebate
- To Qualify: You must have an existing wood burning appliance that does not conform to CSA B415.1 standards (typically an appliance built and installed before 1994).
- Shop: Contact any of the participating retailers to seek advice on a low-emission heating appliance to purchase. Many of the retailers are offering additional discounts and rebates at the same time.
Upon purchase of your new appliance, you will be given a rebate voucher from the retailer. This form will need to be signed by the retailer at the time of sale and installation, and by RDN landfill or transfer station staff when the old unit is sent in for recycling.
Note: Most insurance companies require notification if you are installing a new heating appliance. The value of the rebates cannot exceed the value of the appliance.
- Disposal: Your old stove must be taken to one of the authorized disposal locations to be recycled (whether by you or the installer). Upon disposal, your voucher will be signed OR you will be given a receipt, which will provide proof of destruction. This receipt should be attached to your signed rebate voucher.
1105 Cedar Road, Nanaimo Phone: 250-722-2044
RDN Church Road Transfer Station
860 Church Road, Parksville Phone: 250-248-5254
- Receive Your Rebate: Upon completion and return of the completed rebate voucher and proof of purchase, the RDN will provide a $250 rebate cheque. Submission must be made to the Regional District of Nanaimo by email, mail or in person at the RDN Administration Building:
Woodstove Exchange Program
c/o Sustainability Coordinator
6300 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N2
sustainability [at] rdn.bc.ca
- List of Participating Retailers
- Old woodstoves can be recycled at the Regional landfill or the Church Road transfer station
- Other Resources
For More Information:sustainability [at] rdn.bc.ca