Animal Control and Dog Licenses

Animal Control and Dog Licenses

Animal control enforcement regulates dogs only, click here for the applicable bylaws. To determine your Electoral Area click here.

Aggressive Dogs or Dogs at Large

Aggressive dogs, or dogs at large, in all RDN Electoral Areas should be reported to our animal control contractor Coastal Animal Control Services of BC at 1-888-754-1397 or cacs [at] (cacs[at]telus[dot]net).

Please note that dogs are required to be under control, not on a leash, unless within an RDN park with posted signage including Moorecroft, Horne Lake and Descanso Bay Regional Parks.

Barking Dogs

Electoral Area A, B and C residents: report barking dog complaints to the RDN bylaw department online here.

Electoral Area E, G and H residents: report barking dog complaints to Coastal Animal Control Services (CACS) directly at 1-888-754-1397 or cacs [at]

Dog Licenses

Dog licenses are required in Electoral Areas E, G and H only. Licenses can be purchased at:

  • Salish Sea Market, 110-6996 W Island Hwy, Bowser (778-424-2012)
  • Oceanside Place Arena, 830 West Island Hwy, Parksville
  • RDN Administration Building, 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo
    • To purchase a license by credit card over the phone, contact the RDN Finance Department at 1-877-607-4111. 

Dog licenses are not required in Electoral Areas A, B, C or F.

Animal Welfare

For animal welfare or abuse concerns, contact the SPCA at 1-855-622-7722.