Geographical Information Systems are commonly known as GIS. These collections of computer hardware, software and geographic data are used for capturing, managing, analyzing and displaying all forms of geographically referenced information.
The Regional District of Nanaimo GIS Mapping Department provides GIS services to RDN staff and citizens in the most efficient and effective method possible, leveraging new technologies to dynamically create maps providing value-added service. The staff in this department is responsible for maintaining and updating RDNMAP, a geographical information mapping system that contains information on all of the properties within the Regional District. Staff also combine regional GIS data with other information to develop a variety of map products for RDN departments.
CLICK THE THUMBNAIL IMAGE TO ACCESS RDNMAP
|RDNMAP offers an intuitive interface with access to detailed property information such as addresses, active permits, current zoning, utilities and much more. RDNMAP is designed to work on all popular platforms including mobile devices.|
Other Interactive Webmaps
- Find My Zoning
This web application provides zoning, ALR, and OCP land use information for properties within the RDN. Users can search for information by address, PID, or road, or click on a property for land use information. For property inquiries within the municipal boundaries of Nanaimo, Lantzville, Parksville, and Qualiucm Beach, please contact the municipalities directly.
- Where Do I Live in the RDN?
- Parks and Trails Mapping
Search for and identify parks and recreation trails throughout the RDN with this mobile friendly interactive webmap. Note that this map requires an internet connection and may use data when viewed on a mobile device. If hiking without internet or cellular data, refer to the georeferenced PDF maps below.
- Assessment Information
This tool is intended to provide an overview of 2022 Assessment Values within the RDN. Reported values are divided into a number of ranges from $0 to $1 million and higher, or Non-Tax parcels.
- Utilities Property Info Search Tool
- RDN Fire Protection and Open Burning Regulations
The following Parks and Trails maps are available to download and print. These georeferenced PDFs are also compatible for use with various mobile mapping applications, such as PDF Maps by Avenza Systems Inc., available for download from the App Store or Google Play.
Keep checking back as more PDF maps will be added on an ongoing basis.
Regional Parks & Trails
- Arrowsmith CPR Regional Trail
- Benson Creek Falls Regional Park
- Big Qualicum River Regional Trail
- Coats Marsh Regional Park
- Coombs to Parksville Rail Trail
- Descanso Bay Regional Park
- Englishman River Regional Park
- Horne Lake Regional Park
- Lighthouse Country Regional Trail - Overview
- Lighthouse Country Regional Trail - North Loop
- Lighthouse Country Regional Trail - South Loop
- Moorecroft Regional Park
- Morden Colliery Regional Trail
- Mount Benson Regional Park
- Nanaimo River Regional Park
- Top Bridge Regional Trail
- Trans Canada Trail - Overview
- Trans Canada Trail - North
- Trans Canada Trail - South
Community Parks & Trails
Other Recreational Trails
- Big Qualicum Hatchery Trails
- Nile Creek & McColl Road Trails – North
- Nile Creek & McColl Road Trails – South
The GIS Department is responsible for assigning and maintaining addressing throughout the RDN's Electoral Areas, Lantzville and Gabriola Island. For more information click the link below.
Other GIS Mapping responsibilities
The GIS Mapping department collects, stores, updates, analyzes and displays data from a variety of sources, producing GIS products and services for use by the public and internal RDN staff. GIS staff is responsible for the creation, acquisition and maintenance of spatial layers, attributes and metadata required to publish maps internally and externally. Data is centrally managed, allowing the department to provide prompt, accurate and efficient services to RDN staff and citizens. The GIS Mapping Department promotes collaboration and communication within RDN departments and contributes information and insight to assist with day-to-day decision-making.
- RDNMAP-The RDN's Online Mapping System
- Cadastral Base Maps showing properties and legal descriptions, roads and easements
- Aerial Photography
- Official Community Plans
- Zoning Maps
- General Reference Maps
- House Numbering Maps
- Electoral Area Maps
- Bylaw Maps to define Local Service Areas for functions such as fire protection, water, sewer and street lighting
- Special Purpose Maps
- Maps for RDN publications
RDN Map products are regularly used by all RDN departments, Board members, emergency services, 911 systems, provincial and federal government departments and agencies, municipalities, utility companies, property industry professionals and area residents. Our GIS data and map products are developed and maintained using ESRI software.