Waste Facility Licensing
Any facility located in the RDN that manages municipal solid waste, including garbage, recyclable materials and organics must obtain a Waste Stream Management License (WSML). WSMLs establish operating conditions that help protect communities and the environment from impacts related to their operations.
Apply for a License
Any new facility or existing facility licensed under the repealed WSML Bylaw No. 1386 must submit an application consisting of Form A, Form B, and an Operating Plan. Applicants will pay an application fee once the RDN is satisfied that the application meets the submission requirements.
Applicants should refer to the WSML Application Guide when preparing their application and utilize the Application Document Checklist to track their documentation.
Apply for a License Amendment
Applicants must submit Form A and may be required to submit an updated Operating Plan and/or Form B depending on the nature of the requested amendment. Applicants should contact the RDN to determine their specific application requirements.
License Transfer Request
A facility owner may request a transfer of a WSML resulting from a change in company name or ownership by submitting a Transfer Request Form.
All forms and supporting documents must be submitted electronically to ttanner [at] rdn.bc.ca. Please note that all submitted forms and documents must be in searchable PDF or Word format. Scans of documents and hand-written forms will not be accepted.
- Facility types that require a License
- Asphalt and concrete reprocessing facility - receives asphalt and/or concrete for preprocessing, resale or reuse.
- Brokering facility - receives, cleans, sorts, bales or packages recyclable material for recycling, where residue does not exceed 10% by weight or volume of the material received.
- Composting facility - composts or decomposes source-separated organic material on a commercial methods.
- Material recovery facility - receives municipal solid waste or recyclable material and at which materials are separated for recycling.
- Mixed waste facility - manages or co-manages mixed municipal waste from residential, commercial and/or institutional sources and may include other facility types.
- Refuse derived fuel facility - produces fuel from municipal solid waste that originates from residential, commercial and/or institutional sources.
- Storage facility - stores municipal solid waste or recyclable material with evident intention to dispose or recycle said materials.
- Transfer station - at which municipal solid waste from collection vehicle is received, compacted or arranged for subsequent transport
- Facility types that do not require a License
- a Facility owned and operated by the RDN or its member municipalities
- a privately-operated Facility that holds a Permit, Approval, or Operational Certificate issued under the Environmental Management Act
- a Drop-off Depot a Reuse Establishment a retail food, beverage, or drug establishment that accept recyclable material on a return-to-retail basis
- a Facility handling only industrial waste, agricultural waste or municipal liquid waste, provided it does not handle any municipal solid waste
- a Composting Facility owned or operated by a farmer, if that facility uses municipal solid waste and recyclable material originating solely from one or more farm businesses
- an Asphalt and concrete Reprocessing Facility where reprocessing of used materials is ancillary or secondary to the production of new asphalt or concrete
- a Facility that is exempted by the General Manager
- Current Facilities List
ABC Recycling Nanaimo - 750-C Jackson Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9X 1J2
Cascades Recovery+ Nanaimo - 800 Maughan Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9X 1J2
DBL Disposal Ltd. Nanaimo - 333 Tenth St, Nanaimo, BC V9R 6Z5
DBL Disposal Ltd. Parksville - 911 Church Rd, Parksville, BC V9P 2B8
Earthbank Resources Systems - 1330 Hodges Rd, Parksville, BC V9P 2B
Emterra Environmental - 255 Eaton St, Nanaimo, BC V9R 4Y5
GFL McGarrigle Transfer Station - 2250 McGarrigle Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9S 4M6
Milner Recycling - 4299 Biggs Rd, Nanaimo, BC V0R 2H0
Sharecost Rentals & Sales - 1716 Northfield Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9S 3B2
Waste Connections of Canada Nanaimo - 333 Tenth St, Nanaimo, BC V9R 6Z5
Waste Connections of Canada Parksville - 1429 Springhill Rd, Parksville, BC V9P 2B8
- Current Facilities Map
- What is municipal solid waste (MSW)?
MSW is any refuse (including recyclable and compostable materials) that originates from residential, commercial, institutional, demolition, land clearing or construction sources. (ADD what is not considered MSW)
- How much does it cost to submit an application?
Application Type Application Fee New Facility $1,500 Existing Facility $200 Amendment $1,000
- What other costs are associated with licensing?
- Financial security - Facilities must provide and maintain financial security to cover the potential costs required for a qualified third-party to dispose or recycle all materials onsite should any remain after a facility closure. Financial security amounts are equal to the estimated disposal cost for the maximum allowable amount of material onsite.
- Annual administration fee - Licensees are required to pay an annual administration fee of $500.