Renewable Energy Systems Rebate
This program enables homeowners in RDN Electoral Areas to save money while upgrading to energy-efficient technology in their homes. This rebate is available for Electoral Area residents that install electricity-generating systems that use renewable energy.
- Residence must be located in an RDN Electoral Area (homeowners in Nanaimo, Lantzville, Parksville and Qualicum Beach do not qualify for this rebate)
- The following systems are eligible for this incentive:
- Solar Hot Water
- Photovoltaic (Solar)
- Geoexchange (ground-source or water-source)
- Micro (under 1 kW) and small wind (1 to 10 kW)
- Eligible solar thermal collectors must be certified to CSAF378
- The solar thermal (hot water) system must be installed by a contracting company with at least one CanSIA-certified installer on staff, trained to install standard CSAF383.08
- CanSIA-certified installers are listed at: www.cansia.ca
- Photovoltaic panels must be permanently attached to structure
- Applications are accepted from January 1, 2023, through December 15, 2023
- See the complete list of Green Building Program Terms and Conditions
Apply for your rebate
- A copy of the paid invoice for the eligible renewable energy system installation, signed off by a qualified installer. On the invoice to the customer, installers must include:
- details of the system, make and model number
- qualification or certification the installer possesses
- name of the certified person who installed and commissioned the system
- Confirmation that the system is comprised of one or more PV panels and inverter(s) (if required) certified to CSA Standards
- Photos of the installed system.
Please make sure to also include the following information in your submission:
- Name of purchaser/homeowner
- Address of the project where the renewable energy system is installed
- Address to which your rebate cheque will be sent (if different)
Effective April 1, 2015:
In addition, a $400 rebate is available for renewable energy systems that require and obtain a development variance permit. Please include the development variance permit in your submission.
Steps to apply
1. Complete home upgrades, following eligibility requirements above.
2. Collect the required documents, listed in the table above.
3. Apply online (preferred method), or by email, mail, or in-person to the RDN.
Submit the required documents to the link below
Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing and delivery of your rebate cheque.
Other ways to apply
Submissions can be made to the Regional District of Nanaimo by email, mail or in person. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding statutory holidays.
1. Collect the required documents (listed above)
2. Submit documents to by email, mail or in person at the RDN Administration Building:
sustainability [at] rdn.bc.ca
Renewable Energy System Rebate
c/o Sustainability Coordinator
6300 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 6N2
- For a list of qualified installers, visit www.cansia.ca
sustainability [at] rdn.bc.ca