Sustainable Development Checklist
The Sustainable Development Checklist is intended to help homeowners and builders in RDN Electoral Areas develop high-performance building projects. Homeowners who achieve a high score on the completed Checklist may qualify for incentives between $500 and $1,000.
- Residence must be located in an RDN Electoral Area (homeowners in Nanaimo, Lantzville, Parksville and Qualicum Beach do not qualify for this rebate)
- Applications are accepted from January 1, 2023, through December 15, 2023
- See the complete list of Green Building Program Terms and Conditions
If your development falls into the following categories, you do not need to complete the Checklist.
- Large-scale master-planned residential or mixed-use development
- Subdivision and rezoning
- Commercial and institutional developers are not eligible for financial incentives but can consult with RDN staff and participate in region-wide Green Building recognition programs.
Level 1 $500
Level 2 $750
Level 3 $1,000
Apply For Your Rebate
Step 1: Get the Sustainable Development Checklist
All homeowners and owner-builders are encouraged to review the Checklist as early as possible to take advantage of all possible opportunities. The more compact the house is and the higher EnerGuide rating it obtains, the easier it is to achieve a high score. The applicants also have the option to select items from a list to earn bonus points towards a higher Checklist score.
Step 2: Consult with RDN Staff
If you intend to apply for the Checklist Incentive, contact the RDN Sustainability Coordinator for a free consultation on your project, at sustainability [at] rdn.bc.ca or by phone at 250-390-6510 or 1-877-607-4111. The RDN staff will specify necessary supporting documentation for the Checklist, such as photos, receipts, and drawings.
Step 3: Submit the Checklist and Receive an Incentive
When your Checklist arrives, RDN staff will review the application form and supporting materials. Incentives ranging from $500 to $1,000 for homeowners and owner-builders will be provided on a first-come-first-served basis while program funding lasts. Developments that qualify for an incentive must complete the process within six months of project completion.
Submit the required documents to the link below
Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing and delivery of your rebate cheque.
Other Ways to Apply
Submissions can be made to the Regional District of Nanaimo by email, mail or in person. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding statutory holidays.
1. Collect the required documents (listed above)
2. Submit documents to by email, mail or in person at the RDN Administration Building:
sustainability [at] rdn.bc.ca
Renewable Energy System Rebate
c/o Sustainability Coordinator
6300 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 6N2
Contact the RDN Sustainability Coordinator for more information on the Sustainable Development Checklist and Incentives:
sustainability [at] rdn.bc.ca