Septage Receiving and Pump and Haul
Septage Disposal Rate
Approximately 12,000 homes in the RDN use onsite systems, often septic systems, to treat wastewater. Periodically, septic tanks must be pumped out. After a tank is pumped out, septage may be taken to an RDN septage receiving facility for treatment and disposal.
- The regular septage disposal rate in 2024 is $0.30/Imperial gallon
- The future regular septage disposal rate will increase by $0.01/Imperial gallon each year to cover increasing treatment and disposal costs.
Holding Tank Rate (Pump and Haul)
Holding tanks must be pumped much more frequently than septic tanks. The RDN offers a reduced waste disposal rate of $0.01/Imperial gallon to eligible properties.
Temporary Rate Reduction - Apply Here
Residents may apply for a reduced septage disposal user rate for up to 90 days if their onsite system has malfunctioned and will be repaired.
Horne Lake Strata Properties - Apply Here
Horne Lake Strata properties apply for a reduced septage disposal rate.
Permanent Rate Reduction - Apply Here
Holding tanks may be used by properties that cannot connect to public wastewater systems and are unable to obtain a conventional onsite system. Those properties must first obtain authorization from Island Health to use a holding tank for wastewater disposal. Marine sewage reception facilities may also apply for a holding tank rate if they do not charge for the disposal of sanitary sewage. Application fees apply.
Information For Septage Haulers
Septage haulers must be licenced to use an RDN septage facility. To apply for a licence, you must:
1. Complete the Application for Credit with the RDN to set up an account.
2. Complete the Hauler Discharge Licence Application to apply for a hauler discharge licence.
3. Drop your applications off in person OR email both to financeAR [at] rdn.bc.ca (financeAR[at]rdn[dot]bc[dot]ca) and rcu [at] rdn.bc.ca (rcu[at]rdn[dot]bc[dot]ca) with the Subject: Hauler License Application.
- Licensed haulers must follow the Trucked Liquid Waste Rates and Regulations Bylaw No. 1732.
- The Bylaw No. 1732 Information Guide for Septage Haulers is available to help you understand the bylaw.
Note: Septage is randomly sampled to ensure prohibited wastes are not discharged.
RDN septage receiving facilities are located at:
French Creek Pollution Control Center
957 Lee Road, Parksville
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday
8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday
8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Sunday and Statutory Holidays
Chase River Pumping Station
1174 Island Highway, Nanaimo
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily
After-hours access is only available during an emergency and your company will be charged if staff incur overtime for your after-hours request. Charges for this service are approximately $100 per hour. Call 1-800-862-3429 to request after-hours emergency access.