Septage Receiving and Pump and Haul Service
Septage Disposal Rate
Approximately 12,000 homes in the RDN use onsite systems, often septic systems, to treat wastewater. Periodically, septic tanks must be pumped out. After a tank is pumped out, septage may be taken to an RDN septage receiving facility for treatment and disposal.
- The regular septage disposal rate in 2019 is $0.25/Imperial gallon
- The regular septage disposal rate in 2020 is $0.26/Imperial gallon
- The regular septage disposal rate in future years will increase by $0.01/Imperial gallon to cover increasing treatment and disposal costs.
Holding Tank Rate (Pump and Haul)
The RDN offers a permanent or temporary reduced rate of $0.01/Imperial gallon to eligible properties.
Permanent Rate Reduction
Typically pump and haul services are used by properties which cannot connect to public wastewater systems and are unable to obtain a conventional onsite system. Those using pump and haul services first obtain authorization from Island Health to install a holding tank for wastewater disposal. Note: holding tanks must be pumped much more frequently than septic tanks.
Temporary Rate Reduction
Under certain circumstances, residents may apply for a reduced septage disposal user rate for up to 90 days if their onsite system has malfunctioned and will be repaired.
Septage haulers must be licenced to use an RDN septage facility. To apply for a licence, you must:
1. Complete the Application for Credit with the RDN to set up an account.
2. Complete the Hauler Discharge Licence Application to apply for a hauler discharge licence.
- Licensed haulers must follow the Trucked Liquid Waste Rates and Regulations Bylaw No. 1732.
- The Bylaw 1732 Information Guide for Septage Haulers is available to help you understand the bylaw.
Note: Septage is randomly sampled to ensure prohibited wastes are not discharged.
RDN septage receiving facilities are located at:
French Creek Pollution Control Center
957 Lee Road, Parksville
8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
8:00 am to 3:00 pm, Saturday
8:00 am to 9:30 am on Sunday and Statutory Holidays
Chase River Pumping Station
1174 Island Highway, Nanaimo
7:00 am to 7:00 pm daily
After-hours access is only available during an emergency and your company will be charged if staff incur overtime for your after-hours request. Charges for this service are approximately $100 per hour. Call 1-800-862-3429 to request after-hours emergency access.