Solid Waste and Recycling
Solid Waste and Recycling
SERVICE ALERT - Curbside Collection Service Disruption for Monday December 21, 2020 - RB Routes (South Wellington, Cassidy, Cedar, Gabriola)
Due to winter conditions, curbside collection has been suspended for all RB routes (South Wellington, Cassidy, Cedar, Gabriola) today, December 21. To make up for the missed collection, Waste Connections will be collecting the missed materials as follows:
- RB 1, 2 & 3 (South Wellington, Cassidy and Cedar) - Waste Connections will try to collect the missed material for the next 2 days, December 22 and December 23. If not picked up by 5 p.m. on December 23, please set out the material on your next garbage collection day.
- RB 4 (Gabriola) - Waste Connections will be collecting BOTH GARBAGE and RECYCLING on your next collection day, December 29. Please note, only GARBAGE and RECYCLING will be collected, there will be no FOOD WASTE collection on December 29. Please have your GARBAGE and RECYCLING CARTS out at the curb by 8 a.m. to sure they are collected. Regular collection will resume the week of January 4, 2021.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Download the RDN Curbside App for up-to-date curbside collection alerts, and to view your collection schedule and receive collection notifications.
RDN Facility Operations
As per the most recent Public Health Order, masks are now required for everyone in all public indoor settings and workplaces. The Church Road Transfer Station and Cedar Road Regional Landfill have updated their protocols to adhere to these changes.
- The RDN’s solid waste facilities remain open, but at reduced capacity, with regularly scheduled hours of operation 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., 7 days a week. Residential customers should expect lengthy delays and note that weekends are typically busier.
- The two facilities accept debit and credit and the public is encouraged to use ‘tap.’ Cash will not be accepted at this time.
- Commercial traffic is being given priority at both locations.
- For those entering the Church Road Transfer Station indoor facilities, masks are now required.
- For both the Church Road Transfer Station and Cedar Road Regional Landfill, all customers are expected to maintain the 6' physical separation or wear a mask in all outdoor areas.
Other RDN standard COVID controls remain unchanged. Stay home if you have any symptoms of illness (even mild ones) - or if you have been directed to self-isolate or quarantine.
Curbside Collection Service
- Additional precautions have been put in place to protect the collection drivers:
- All garbage must be bagged and securely tied, including all paper towels, tissues, toilet paper, face masks, gloves, and disposable sanitary wipes (flushable and compostable) - these items cannot be disposed of in your recycling nor food waste containers.
- If someone in your household is sick, double-bag and securely tie all personal waste.
- Waste that do not adhere to the above guidelines will be LEFT BEHIND, NO EXCEPTIONS.
To stay updated on all departments visit www.rdn.bc.ca/pandemic.
New Automated Curbside Collection
As of October 1, the RDN rolled out the new automated curbside collection service - a cleaner, safer and smarter way to collect waste. Simply roll your carts to the curb on your scheduled collection day. The new collection truck will empty the carts and return them back to the curb using a mechanical arm operated by the crew from inside the cab of the truck. Please refer to your information guide or click here to learn more.
The Solid Waste Services Department owns and operates the Regional Landfill, Church Road Transfer Station and provides residential garbage, food waste and recycling collection to more than 29,000 households in the region. The RDN has made a long-term commitment to achieving Zero Waste, reducing garbage, conserving resources, reducing greenhouse gases and creating a more sustainable region.