Outdoor Burning Regulations

Open Burning Campfire RDN

Coastal Fire Region - Fire Ban Status

Effective at 12 p.m. (noon) PDT on Friday, July 12, 2024, all open burning activities are prohibited throughout the Coastal Fire Centre’s jurisdiction, which includes the RDN. The ban applies to open fires of any size, campfires, fireworks, sky lanterns, tiki torches, burn barrels and cages, binary exploding targets and chimineas (outdoor stoves that use wood as a fuel source).

This prohibition is being enacted to help reduce wildfire risk and protect public safety. These bans apply to all public and private land and are in place until October 31, 2024, or until the order is rescinded by BC Wildfire Service.

For more information on the BC Wildfire Services burning prohibition, view their notice here.

Provincial Open Burning Legislation

Open burning is regulated by the Provincial Government through the following pieces of Legislation.

In 2019 the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy implemented the Open Burning Smoke Control Regulation which has strict requirements for burning in specific smoke-sensitivity areas. For more information on the regulation, please see the Provinces Open Burning information page

To report a violation to one of these provincial legislations call the Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) line at 1-877-952-7277 or report online.

Open Burning in BC has four (4) categories for burning.

What Cannot be Burnt in BC?

Air Quality

Smoke can be hazardous to human health the following resources explain why and how to mitigate potential exposure, especially in the summer fire season.

Fire Protection and Open Burning Regulations Interactive Map

Not sure which Fire Protection Area you are in? Check the Fire Protection and Open Burning Regulations interactive map. Click on the map find which fire department provides fire protection and emergency response services in your fire services protection area. The online tool also provides useful links to burning bylaws, venting Index information and the Province’s website for the most up-to-date information on fire bans and restrictions.

You can always check the Provincial Fire Danger from April to November to see the current risk of a wildfire starting in BC which is updated daily during the fire season.

RDN Burning Regulation / Bylaws 

Dashwood, Coombs-Hilliers, Errington, Nanoose, Cranberry, Cassidy/Waterloo

Provincial Legislation applies. No backyard burning is permitted if the Costal Fire Centre Fire has a ban in place. Check the BC venting index before you burn. You must be aware of the different open burning categories and the Open Burning Smoke Control Regulations in your area.

Bow Horn Bay

The Bow Horn Bay Fire Protection Area has the following Bylaw that regulates burning in that area. 

French Creek and Parksville Local Service Areas

Outdoor burning is regulated by:

Backyard burning of garden waste is permitted from February 15 to April 15 and October 15 to December 15. Backyard burn piles must not exceed 2 square metres in area and shall only be used to burn garden refuse originating on the parcel where the fire is located and no other material. The burning of noxious materials is prohibited.

Please check the venting index before you burn and only start a burn if the index and forecast are good.

Construction or clearing waste fires are not permitted at any time. Agricultural clearing waste fires may be started or maintained with a permit from the Fire Department having jurisdiction on the parcel where the fire is to take place.

Extension Fire Protection Area

Outdoor burning is regulated by: A permit is required for backyard burning between April 1 and October 31. Phone the Fire Department at 754-3235. Cooking and incinerator fires are not permitted when Forest Danger Rating Sign reads 'early shift' or 'extreme conditions'.

Large fires such as land clearing and agricultural waste fires require a permit from the Fire Department having jurisdiction on the parcel where the fire is to take place.

Deep Bay Improvement District

Fire permits are required for any open burning from April 15 - October 15. Please call the hall at 250-757-2030 for your permit.

East Wellington (Mountain Fire Protection District)

Permits are required for fires within the Mountain Fire Protection District. Contact the East Wellington Volunteer Fire Department at the following phone number: 250-585-2931.

 Gabriola Volunteer Fire Department 

All open burning with fires larger than 1/2 cubic meter require a permit from the GVFD.  All burn piles are subject to Inspection prior to issuance of a burn permit. Permits are only issued by the Fire Department from Monday to Thursday from 9:00am to 4:00pm. Please contact the Fire Department at 250-247-9677.

North Cedar Improvement District

Phone the Fire Department at 250-722-3711.

City of Nanaimo
Phone 250-754-4251 or visit www.nanaimo.ca

City of Parksville
Phone 250-248-6144 or visit www.parksville.ca

District of Lantzville
Phone 250-390-4006 or visit www.lantzville.ca

Town of Qualicum Beach
Phone 250-752-6921 or visit www.qualicumbeach.com