Bowser Village Wastewater Project History (archived)
Bowser Village Wastewater Project History (archived)
This page is intended to provide historical information about the Bowser Village Wastewater Project for information purposes only. Please note that the project has evolved significantly over time and costs or figures quoted in the documents below may no longer accurately reflect the current situation.
Project InformationPlease review the following handouts for more information about the project:
- Bowser Village Center Wastewater Newsletter No.2
- Work on Private Property FAQ
- Wastewater Service Area FAQ
- Wastewater Treatment System FAQ
- Low Pressure System & Grinder Pump FAQ
- Wastewater System Factsheet
2017 - August
- The "Petition to Establish a Sewer Service Area in Part of Electoral Area H" closed at 4:30 pm on August 11, 2017. Please visit www.rdn.bc.ca/bowser for more information.
- RDN Bowser Office (Room 204, Magnolia Court) Hours were extended to Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays 9:30 am to Noon during the petition period. RDN staff familiar with the project were available in the office during the extended hours. No further Bowser office hours are scheduled for the project after August 11, 2017. Please direct enquiries to the contacts listed below.
- Information regarding free estimates for installing on-site grinder pumps was available during the petition period. Any estimates provided by private contractors must be based on the Stantec design as presented by the RDN, which forms the basis of the project costs as presented in the petition. The proposed collection system design presented by the RDN and engineering consultants Stantec at the public information meetings and in written communications related to the project is the most current design, and should be used as the basis for decision making related to the petition process. Please refer to the Work on Private Property FAQ for more information.
2017 - JulyA third Public Information Meeting was held Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at the Royal Canadian Legion, in Bowser from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. The meeting provided an update to residents on the procedure and requirements to establish a service area through a petition process, proposed parcel tax rates and methods of payment to fund the non-grant portion of the project, and the sewer servicing design and costs. Please see the Bowser Village Sewer Service July 19, 2017 Information Meeting Presentation for details and next steps. After the meeting, petition packages were provided to property owners within the proposed service area by via letter post, email, or in person. The petition packages informed property owners that if they intended to submit a Petition Response, the response would need to be received by the RDN by 4:30 pm on Friday, August 11, 2017.
2017 - JuneA second Public Information Meeting was held June 26, 2017 at the Royal Canadian Legion, in Bowser from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. An estimated 70 residents were in attendance. The meeting provided an update to residents on the progress of the project and another opportunity for residents to ask questions and gain more information on the project. Please see the "Bowser Village Center Area Update" presentation.
2017 – MayAn information sharing meeting for service area residents was held Monday, May 29, 2017 at the Royal Canadian Legion in Bowser. Discussions included overview of the project, the costs and various options, and the policy and legal requirements for each of the options, including: legislative framework, bylaw and/or agreement requirements, and elector assent.
- Bowser Village Centre Sewer Service Information Newsletter #1 - May 2017
- Bowser Village Sewer Service Area Options" presentation - May 2017
2017 - AprilUrban Systems Ltd. was retained by the RDN in to advise on the process to establish the Service Area and elector approval for borrowing for the construction of the Treatment Plant, Collection System and Outfall. The Bowser Village Wastewater Servicing Study draft design report for the Treatment Plant, Collection System and Outfall (pre-design) was completed by Stantec Consulting Ltd.
2017 - MarchOn March 17, 2017 the RDN was awarded funding under the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund for "Bowser Sewer Servicing" at a maximum federal/provincial contribution of $7,590,328.The Clean Water and Wastewater Fund is a joint funding initiative of the federal and provincial governments, and supports the rehabilitation of community drinking water and wastewater infrastructure and the planning and design of future systems that meet drinking water and wastewater effluent standards.
2014 - 2016In 2014, the RDN was awarded $300,000 of Federal Gas Tax Grant Funding to undertake a sewer servicing study for Bowser Village Centre. The objectives of the Bowser Village Wastewater Servicing Study are to produce a detailed engineering design for a potential community collection and treatment system, and compare both ground and marine options for effluent disposal, with cost estimates for each. The project was awarded to Stantec Consulting Ltd. in Summer 2015. A public information meeting was held in Bowser on July 11, 2016, at the completion of the preliminary design stage.
- Preliminary Design Public Meeting Presentation - July 11, 2016
- Preliminary Design Public Meeting Information Posters - July 11, 2016
- Preliminary Design Public Meeting Q & A - July 11, 2016
2013An RDN-wide Rural Village Centre Study in 2013 identified Bowser as one of the Rural Village Centres with the most potential to evolve into a compact, complete community that warrants the investment required to serve it with community wastewater facilities.
2011 and earlierThe Bowser Village Centre Plan identified sewer servicing as a key component to developing Bowser Village Centre into a "compact, complete community". Following this, a sewer servicing feasibility study for the Bowser community was completed in 2011.
- Chatwin Engineering Sewer Servicing Feasibility Study - 2011
- Bowser Village Centre Plan - 2010
- Electoral Area H Official Community Plan - 2003
Contact UsPlease direct any questions about this project to:
Bowser Village Centre Wastewater Project TeamFor more information about community planning in the Bowser area, visit the Area 'H' Official Community Plan Review page.
T: (250) 390-6560
E: bowserwastewater [at] rdn.bc.ca