Well Water Testing Rebate
Updated on January 19, 2021
Well Water Testing Rebate
Status: The Well Water Testing Rebate is open and accepting applications for 2021. Allow up to 2 weeks for processing.
Property owners with private domestic wells are their own water managers, responsible for the quality of their drinking water supply. By regularly testing your water, you can ensure your well water is safe to consume and that it is not a conduit for contamination to the shared groundwater supply.
- Maximum Value
This incentive program rebates 50% off (up to $175) for full spectrum well water quality tests.
- Application Forms
*New and improved procedure
- Who Can Apply
This rebate program is available to all residential landowners with a private domestic well in the RDN, including electoral areas (A, B, C, E, F, G, H) and member municipalities (Nanaimo, Lantzville, Parksville, Qualicum Beach).
- Each private domestic well is eligible for one (1) rebate over the lifetime of the program.
- Only property owners are eligible to receive the rebate. Water purveyors and commercial properties are NOT eligible.
- The rebate is available on a first come, first served basis. Once funds are exhausted, the program will be finished for this year.
- Full spectrum analysis of well water must at a minimum cover: Total Coliform and Escherichia coli (E. coli), pH, Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), Hardness, Nitrate, Nitrite, Sulphate, Fluoride, Chloride, and 32 element metals scan.
- Water quality analysis must be completed by a provincially approved lab (i.e. on Vancouver Island: Bureau Veritas laboratories or MB Laboratories). For the full Directory of Qualified Laboratories in BC visit www.nrs.gov.bc.ca/qualified-labs.
- All water samples must be submitted between January 1 and December 31, 2021.
- How To Apply
Step 1: Submit Pre-approval Application
Complete Pre-approval Application Form and send electronically to watersmart [at] rdn.bc.ca or by mail/in person to Drinking Water & Watershed Protection, Regional District of Nanaimo, 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, B.C., V9T 6N2.
Step 2: Receive Voucher & Get Water Tested
Pre-approved applicants will receive an RDN Approved Rebate Voucher for 50% off of a full spectrum analysis test from a provincially approved lab. Upon receiving the voucher, the applicant will have 30 days to submit water samples along with the voucher to the lab. Contact the RDN (watersmart [at] rdn.bc.ca or 250-390-6560) to request an extension. See steps below.
- Receive voucher
- Pick-up water sample bottles available from the locations listed below.
- Take a water sample from your tap, following the proper procedures.
- Take your sample and voucher to a drop-off location listed below or directly to the lab within 24 hours.
- Keep sample cool (in the fridge or clean cooler with ice packs).
- 50% off the cost will be taken off your bill in-lab.
- The lab will send you your results and help you understand your findings.
- Sample Bottle Pick-Up & Drop-Off Locations
Bottle Pick-up Locations Sample Drop-off Location ABC Water Systems 9-2180 South Wellington Road Nanaimo 250-753-3333 Yes. Drop off in person between 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Sample will be sent to MB Laboratories in Sydney. Courier fees apply. Andrew Sheret
2545 McCullough Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 8 - 10 a.m., MONDAYS ONLY. Sample will be sent to BV Labs in Courtenay. Andrew Sheret
1137 Smithers Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 8 - 10 a.m., MONDAYS ONLY. Sample will be sent to BV Labs in Courtenay. Arbutus Home Building Centre
785 Ross Way
No. BV Labs
2775 B Moray Avenue
Yes. Drop off in person during business hours or arrange a courier to deliver sample directly to the lab. Coastal Water Supply
6359 B2 Hammond Bay Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 9:30 - 11 a.m., Monday through Thursday. Sample will be sent to MB Laboratories in Sydney. Courier fees apply. Iritex Pumps and Irrigation
1009 Allsbrook Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 8:30 - 10 a.m., Monday through Thursday. Sample will be sent to BV Labs in Courtenay. Courier fees apply. MB Labs
2062 West Henry Avenue
Yes. Drop off in person during business hours or arrange a courier to deliver sample directly to the lab. Red Williams Well Drilling
1125 Smithers Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 8:30 - 10 a.m., Monday through Friday. Sample will be sent to BV Labs. Courier fees apply. RDN office, 2nd Floor
6300 Hammond Bay Road
- RDN wellSMART Education Program
- BV Labs (Courtenay)
- MB Labs (Sidney)
- BC Registry Search for a Qualified Well Driller or Well Pump Installer
- Island Heath - Drinking Water (Vancouver Island Health Authority)
- BC Ministry of Environment - Information for Property Owners
- BC Ministry of Environment - Well Registration Form
- BC Ministry of Environment - Groundwater Protection and Sustainability
- BC Ministry of Environment - Provincial Wells Database
- BC Groundwater Association - Groundwater Protection Regulation Handbook
- RDN Rural Water Quality Rebates - Wellhead Upgrades Rebate
Visit Wellhead Upgrades and Well Water Testing FAQ's
If you have any additional questions, please call 250-390-6560 or email watersmart [at] rdn.bc.ca.