Agricultural Land Use Inventory
Agricultural Land Use Inventory and Water Demand ModelThe Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) is working with the Ministry of Agriculture (AGRI) and the Partnership for Water Sustainability in British Columbia to protect water resources and promote sustainable food and agriculture systems that are part of the economic, environmental, and social fabric of the region.
This initiative involves the creation of an Agricultural Land Use Inventory (ALUI) and an Agricultural Water Demand Model (AWDM). Both projects are intended to work together towards strengthening agriculture in the region by increasing local knowledge and promoting sustainable water use for agriculture and aquaculture.
Agricultural Land Use InventoryThe RDN and AGRI have collected Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data relating to agricultural land use within the region in 2012 with the intent of producing an agricultural land use inventory (ALUI). The purpose of the ALUI is:
- To provide a record of land uses in farming areas and act as a benchmark for monitoring land use change;
- To improve understanding of agricultural land use within the Area;
- To identify the impacts of proposed policies and regulations on agriculture;
- To increase the information on agricultural land use that is available, which will assist land use decision-making including official community plan and bylaw updates;
- To help identify challenges and opportunities to enhance agriculture and food production;
- To identify opportunities for greater land use and resource compatibility, and,
- To use the land use inventory data results as input to an agricultural water demand model.
Agricultural Water Demand ModelThe RDN is working with the Partnership for Water Sustainability in British Columbia to develop an Agricultural Water Demand Model (AWDM) that can be used to quantify current and future agricultural water requirements. This project is helping the Province implement the Living Water Smart initiative which has made a commitment to ensure long-term water supply for the agriculture sector.
To learn more about the RDN Agricultural Water Demand Model click here.
This project is closely tied to the Agricultural Land Use Inventory, as data from that project will be used in the creation of the AWDM.