NOTICE OF ASSENT VOTING
NOTICE OF ASSENT VOTINGPUBLIC NOTICE is given to the electors within Electoral Area H of the Regional District of Nanaimo that assent voting will be held on the following question:
"Are you in favour of the Regional District of Nanaimo adopting Bylaw No. 1706 to provide for the following:
- establishing the "Northern Community Marine Search and Rescue Contribution Service" within Electoral Area 'H' to provide for a contribution to societies providing marine search and rescue in Electoral Area 'H'; and
- annually requisitioning up to a maximum of the greater of $5,000 or $0.006/$1000 of taxable assessed value to pay for the service?"
|GENERAL VOTING:||Saturday, November 15, 2014 from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm at the following location:
|ADVANCE VOTING:||Wednesday, November 5, 2014 from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm at the following locations:
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day
- Canadian citizen
- resident of BC for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration
- resident of OR registered owner of real property in the Electoral Area for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration, and
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in the assent voting and not otherwise disqualified by law.
In order to register, non-resident property electors must produce 2 pieces of identification (at least one with a signature) to prove identity, proof that they are entitled to register in relation to the property, and, if there is more than one owner, written consent from the majority of property owners.
Note: Non-resident property electors no longer need a Property Elector Certificate to vote.Qualified electors may vote by mail if they:
- have a physical disability, illness or injury that affects their ability to vote at another voting opportunity; and/or
- expect to be away from the voting jurisdiction on general voting day (November 15, 2014) and at the times of all advance voting opportunities (November 5 and 12, 2014); and/or
- are a resident of DeCourcy Island or Mudge Island, which have been designated as remote from voting places.
REQUESTING A MAIL BALLOT PACKAGE:To request a mail ballot package you must submit a completed Application to Vote by Mail to the Regional District of Nanaimo, Administrative Services Department, at 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N2. Applications can be obtained by contacting the Administrative Services Department at the above address or by calling 250-390-4111, toll free 1-877-607-4111 or by downloading the form from the 2014 Election webpage on the Regional District of Nanaimo website (www.rdn.bc.ca). Applications may be submitted in person, by mail to the above address, by fax to 250-390-4163 or scanned and emailed to vote [at] rdn.bc.ca. Upon receipt of a complete application, your name will be added to the mailing list for mail ballot packages and a mail ballot package will be mailed to you as soon as possible after October 27, 2014.
If you are applying for a mail ballot package after October 31, 2014, please contact the Chief Election Officer at 250-390-4111, or toll free at 1-877-607-4111 as special arrangements may be necessary due to time constraints. Important Deadline
As provided in the Local Government Act, a mail ballot must be received by the Chief Election Officer before the close of voting on general voting day (Saturday, November 15, 2014) in order to be counted for the election. It is your responsibility to deliver or post the mail ballot in sufficient time for delivery to the Regional District of Nanaimo, 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N2.Bylaw No. 1706 - Northern Community Marine Search and Rescue Contribution Service Establishment Bylaw No. 1706, 2014 - This bylaw provides for the following:
- establishing a service to provide for a contribution to societies that provide marine search and rescue in Electoral Area 'H';
- establishing the boundaries of the service area to be Electoral Area 'H'; and
- annually requisitioning up to a maximum of the greater of $5,000 or $0.006/$1000 of taxable assessed value on land and improvements within the participating area to pay for the service.
For further information on the bylaw or the voting process, contact the Chief Election Officer, Jacquie Hill, or the Deputy Chief Election Officer, Matt O'Halloran at 250-390-4111, toll free at 1-877-607-4111, or email at vote [at] rdn.bc.ca.
Chief Election Officer